Saturday, December 10, 2005

Being a Muslim in the United States is such a complex experience. I think its similar to
how person's of Japanese origin must have felt during WWII, when they were considered
to be the enemy, merely because of national origin. However, for Muslims, there are not really
any recognizable ethnic traits, so the reaction is delayed.

For those of you who have not yet experienced it, the reaction can range from benign curiosity,
to slight discomfort, to outright abuse. I've been fortunate that most of my friends, acquaintances and colleagues
are open minded and tolerant, so there are only the usual misunderstandings that I have to deal with.
However, I have had people tell me to F**k off back to Iran. I had a client who sent an anonymous letter to
the FBI about me. My wife, who immigrated here from Europe, but looks more eastern than I, gets all sorts of
odd and unfriendly reactions.

What is most disturbing though, are not the one-on-one interactions, but the weirdly surreptitious
anti-Muslim sentiment that is becoming institutionalized, particularly in the Federal Government. I would
recommend everyone to find and watch the documentary, "whose children are these?" about hardworking immigrants
who come to this country, make a home, raise a family, contribute to society and government and then
are treated like criminals simply because of their religious beliefs or national origin.
http://www.nycmaharanifilms.com/whose.htm

No comments: